[XviD-devel] Access violation in AviStreamWrite using Xvid with width>720

Renate Schaaf rme-schaaf at web.de
Wed Feb 27 22:07:14 CET 2008

In article <346326.18136.qm at web56310.mail.re3.yahoo.com>, Dark Sylinc
wrote:
> I have no experience with avifil32.dll, although I've had problems
> in the past regarding resolutions.
> I suggest you to first try nice ones (by nice=power of two) like
> 1024x1024.
> Strange resolutions (specially odd numbered ones) may crash XviD. I
> didn't care that time because video codecs aren't supposed to
> support such weird movie resolutions. }
> Let us know how a 1024x1024 goes.

You have got a point with the powers of 2, but it also depends on the
bitrate. I've left the default encoding options, and only changed the
bitrate, I've used 25fps throughout:

1024x1024 works with bitrate 2000 and above, fails at about frame 300
for bitrate 1800.
1024x512 works with bitrate 3000, fails at bitrate 2000 at roughly
frame 170.

Resolutions I could not get to work at all:
768x576
1280x720 (though suggested in the HighDef-Profile)
1024x720
I've tried to only use mod16 values.

Using VirtualDub, I can resize and reencode with Xvid to all of those
resolutions. I don't know why it doesn't work for me :(.

Thx

Renate