[XviD-devel] Public release of the xvid vbr lib.

Edouard Gomez xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 15:00:39 +0200

Michael Militzer (michael@xvid.org) wrote:

> I have to admit  that I didn't have a closer look  at the new lib yet,
> but I'd  like to  see the lib  (maybe in  a little bit  modified form)
> included into the core lib. The 1pass ratecontrol code is already part
> of  the  core  and  since  the  2pass code  is  nothing  else  than  a
> ratecontrol  mechanism  too,  I'd   like  to  create  a  "ratecontrol"
> subdirectory in the core struct and put everything there.

The lib  is using ISO  C99 so it  can be integrated very  easily, just
have to use  the defined types in portab.h and  remove the debug macro
that could not compile with  MSVC++ because it doesn't respect the ISO
C99 standard (macros with variable number of parameters).

> It would be logical to put all the different ratecontrol code together in
> one place and it would make the code easily available on all supported
> platforms or encoding frontends...

That was the aim  of this lib :-) and i don't  want to maintain a fork
of  vfw code...  because the  real  work has  been done  by koepi  and
foxer. My work has just been cleaning the design of the code.

> Also, I ask myself if it wouldn't be a good idea to upload the different
> import modules we've written so far to our cvs server as well. As far as I
> know there is a transcode module, a mencoder module and some support code
> for mplayer and xine. I think it would be easier to maintain this code (API
> changes etc), if the whole code would be on our cvs server - what do you
> think?

It's  a good  idea. Moreover  each external  module is  a  really good
example on how to use XviD API.

--
Edouard Gomez