[XviD-devel] [RFC] Autoconf/automake/libtool tree

Edouard Gomez xvid-devel@xvid.org
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:21:48 +0200

Christoph Lampert (chl@math.uni-bonn.de) wrote:
> Please please check for the NASM-version, too. The most frequent errors
> were due to non-up-to-date nasms.

Yep could be done very easily.

> Maybe even let it assemble 1 line of SSE2-code and switch that off
> if nasm fails to success.

Could also be done very easily.

> > NB: gentoo, marillat debian packager wil be happy with that (i hope :)
>
> :-)
> Yes, a gentoo package was the next thing I wanted to see. Do you have
> experience with that? Then I wouldn't have to learn how to build
> ebuild-scripts.

I think  the ebuild already exists  as the "one  makefile" request has
been done  by the xvid  package maintainer for  gentoo, but i  have no
experience for that.  They seem to be far more  easy than debian build
tree.

Anyway, for now i have this, working fine :

  - cvscompile.sh  : to  include  in  cvs to  build  and generate  the
scripts from their .in/.am sources.

  - configure.in  very  basic,   checks  for  bframes/smp  on  command
line. It has the structure to add *bsd/*beos or cpus specific CFLAGS.

For  now  i  can  compile  a   C  only  version,  and  make  the  make
install/dist. I think  the unique Makefile.am will do  it right with a
automake >=1.6 +  autoconf >= 2.50. But the way  it compiles the files
is  not  very  nice,  i  get  lot of  object  files  in  the  xvidcore
directory. I would prefer seeing them  created in a .objs dir. I've to
read the manuals to sort this out.

I'll need more help from  specific arch maintainers later to add their
specific stuff in configure.in and conditional parts of Makefile.am.

regards

--
Edouard Gomez