[XviD-devel] it doubts...

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:40:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Marco Al wrote:

> Michael Militzer wrote:
>
> > This is not really correct. Section 8 of the GPL makes it possible to
> > release patent covered code under the GPL...
>
> XviD's contributors have chosen not to use the options provided in section 8
> though, so it does not apply.
>
> I know Im alone in this, but I still read clause 7 that if you know that if you
> cannot extend the freedoms of the GPL to recipients you are not allowed to
> distribute

except for the authors, who can do whatever they like ;-)

But you are not alone with your oppinion. I think, too, that very strictly
speaking, the GPL license of XVID is rather pointless, because very
strictly speaking, nobody has the right to re-distribute under GPL, so
nobody has to right to re-distribute at all.

gruel