[XviD-devel] [RELEASE CANDIDATE] v0.9.1

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Wed Feb 12 12:38:02 CET 2003

Hi,

Quoting Edouard Gomez <ed.gomez at free.fr>:

> Michael Militzer (michael at xvid.org) wrote:
> > Many people are not aware that the stable branch also includes outdated and
>
> > buggy code while at the same time the correct (or at least more correct)
> code
> > equivalents are somehow "hidden" in the dev-tree. So I suggest to either
> remove
> > b-frame + qpel support from stable or sync the code between dev-api3 and
> > stable...
>
> I felt  too lazy,  i dropped  support for these  supports as  nobody was
> using them.  At least public builds  of the lib were not defining BFRAME
> decoding.

I know

> I think  dev-api-3 is stable  enough to be  used for "every day"  use if
> someone  wants bframes  and qpel.   I am  preparing this  release mainly
> because  we need CVS_HEAD  soon (for  dev-api-3 stabilization)  and that
> stable version had some fixes and the VLC memory footprint improvement.

yes sure b-frames + qpel on CVS_HEAD are not for usage and maybe it's also true
that these features are never used - however that's not the point. The core
problem is that other developers might have a look at the code and suppose -
because they've downloaded the stable-tree code - that the bframe + qpel code
here is stable and bug-free. I have received a message in private mail recently
where someone used the XVID "stable" decoder as reference for his own encoder
and was then of course very confused about XVID's qpel behaviour...

So that was my point: if we call the thing "stable", there shouldn't be any
known bugs or incorrect code included.

Apart from this: nice work Ed!

bye,