[XviD-devel] SGI Irix port

Christoph Lampert xvid-devel@xvid.org
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 10:26:33 +0100 (CET)

On 5 Jan 2003, Florin Andrei wrote:

Hi,

welcome back!

> A while ago, i asked if you are interested in making XviD work on SGI
> Irix. Someone from this mailing list answered positively, but after that
> we've kinda lost contact.

Maybe it was me? I can't really help in porting to SGI (although I _love_
the SGI compiler :-), because I don't have access to a SGI machine
anymore. :(((
So, I would be very interested in ssh access, maybe you could create an
"xvid" account and we continue the discussion by private mail?

> Well, if meanwhile XviD still hasn't been ported to SGI Irix (i didn't
> watched the mailing list, sorry if this is old news), and if you are
> still willing to do the work, please let me know. I'll reinstall soon my
> small SGI development machine, together with a full set of development
> tools (including recent versions of GNU tools and SGI's commercial
> compiler, MIPSPro) and i could give SSH access to it to one of the
> members of the XviD team.

That would be great! I guess it shouldn't be too much work to get XviD
to compile on Irix, and I'm pretty sure that other tools like transcode
and mplayer already exist there, too. So video encoding with XviD would be
possible.
Next step would be assembler or multimedia-library optimization (MDMX
instruction set, isn't it?). I don't know anyone who could do that, but
maybe we can wait until it's time for that to find someone... If I
remember correctly, you might find somebody directly at SGI?

gruel