[XviD-devel] msvc build environment [was: no subject]

pete pross at xvid.org
Tue Apr 3 13:43:55 CEST 2007

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 18:30:43 +0100 "A AP" <snopa at freeuk.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody
[...]
> THE QUESTION:
> How should I configure my Visual C++ with the generated files (core and
> vfw)?
> If someone have already compiled XVID using Visual C++, can explain me the
> necessary steps.

you have reported two seperate problems, i'll take a stab at both of
them.

the "Debug/MyProgramXVID.exe" fails to link because you have not instructed
your linker to link against the xvidcore static library (xvidcore.lib). this
is not an xvid problem per-se, rather it reflects your experience with
the msvc toolchain.

solution:
in msvc goto to project->settings->link, then add "xvidcore.lib" to the
list of object/module libraries. Depending on your directory layout, you
probably will need to add the xvidcore.lib path to the linker path list.
this can be done from the "Input Category" under project->settings->link.

the second problem is a hack introduced many years ago into the vfw
build process. after compiling xvidvfw.dll, the msvc project attempts to
execute the following dos command ''

copy "..\build\win32\bin\xvidcore.dll" ".\bin"

''. it your case, the command seems to fail. this could be due to many
reasons. if you wish to delete or edit the command, goto
project->settings->post-link within msvc.

ope this helps.

-- pete